Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Big boy room REVEAL!

We've had the boys' room down for awhile now but I was putting some finishing touches on it and wanted to wait until it was complete to blog about. This is a HUGE update/reveal so be prepared for a long post with LOTS of pictures!

{Jackson's side of the room before}
pretty babyish which was totally ok since it WAS a nursery!

{Joel's side of the room before}
But now it looks like this....

Joel's side of the room now! These are twin beds that came from Slumberland that we will eventually bunk. This is EXACTLY what we wanted for their room...bunk beds! I LOVED my bunk beds growing up and I know the boys will too.
This is the bookcase that Jon and my dad built! LOVE it and it is custom made to the size I wanted! The little lamp base and shade came from Wal-Mart, the modern looking CD player/radio came from Best buy.com and the baskets that hold lotions and one is empty came from Target. Oh and those cords behind that are probably sticking out to all of you....yeah those are all hidden now too!
We kept the chair rail the navy color. The bedding I really wanted Pottery Barn but not for $180 price tag JUST for the quilt and 1 pillow sham so I found some a "Pottery Barn knock off" on Overtsock.com and it was a 1/4 of the cost and I even bought an extra one to make a valance out of since I wanted it to match perfectly!

(just pretend you don't see fat Sophie sitting on the nightstand)
And this is the night stand that Jon and my dad built. It opens and then there is a shelf in there. The boys have all their books in there right now. My intention was for the books to go on the bookshelf but I love the look of the baskets there and I also put their photo albums on there as well (which I'll have you know I'm completely up-to-date on FINALLY) and then their piggy banks.
And of course the step stools. Jon and my dad made 4 of these. I wanted 2 for their rooms dsince their beds are too high for them and then 1 for each of the bathrooms. The 2 in the boys' room match the stain of the bedroom furniture and then the ones in the bathrooms match the trim on the baseboards/cabinets. They are PERFECT and have a little storage space too!
What I'm most proud of, besides all the work my dad and hubby did ...my sewing abilities! Actually, I grew up with my grandma that sewed all the time and I remember when I was in 5th or 6th grade I made a quilt for my own bed. Anyways, my gram is 97 now and she lost her sewing machine in her house fire and just got a new one, of which she does NOT like and didn't want to sew with. So I brought it home one night and made the valance myself! She'll be really proud when she sees it! The navy drapes are a leftover from the nursery and so are the curtain rods
Notice the ceiling fan....oh yes, I flipped the ugly part down (plain white part is up) and painted them navy, it looked too "white" without and I love the extra little pop of color it gives the room! The pictures on each side of the boys' beds are 11x14 (from Michael's) and you know me I love having pictures on the walls wherever possible so we left the ones on the sides of the window from the nursery and hung 2 more separated by a shelf that I painted navy that their "rarrrs" sit on and their little "keepsake" box that I ordered from shutterfly after they were born that keep their wrist band, little hat they wore after they were born and the clips from their belly buttons...I know the important stuff.
This is the other side of the room. The door on the left is their closet and door on the right goes out into our hallway. We kept the memory board thingy in the middle of this wall because the blues matched so perfectly. At Target I found the perfect little coat rack to hang just at their level to hang their hats and back packs on. Oh the paint in the room first of all a huge thanks to Jon and my mom for doing ALL the painting, oh the boys did help paint in "their room" too and they will tell you that....I have NO idea what the colors are...I don't remmeber, but I do know the white is just standard, straight out of the can white and NO we do NOT use the expensive paint it is the cheapest paint at Menard's and with 2 coats (in my opinion all paints needs 2 coats no matter the brand) it looks perfect love the blues that match/coordinate with the quilt!
This is a close up on their beds....just like the Pottery Barn ads I wanted their pillow shams embroidered so I took them to our local Strawberry patch and for $5 a piece I had their name put on them! A nice finishing touch. And that little chamellion thing on the pillow....a gift from Grandma and Grandpa and it is their "rarrr" that they cuddle with at night.
I should've mentioned above....that you notice that they do not have a dresser in their room. There simply is NOT room for one, the twin beds were A LOT bigger than we thought (even though we did measure before we bought them) but in their closet I have made it so everything is packed nicely in their "plastic" drawers in their closet and I hang and iron almost everything. I will have to show that to you some time just believe me that I stand by my nickname..."Cram Queen"!
So there you go....the big reveal of the boys' new and improved bedroom! They LOVE their big boy room and have done great in their beds. I bought those ugly side rails and we ended up not using them. Whew...what a long post coming next....bits and pieces of the girls' room/nursery!!

2 comments:

Missy... said...

It's AWESOME! Great work, you guys! I'm loving the PB "knock off" bedding.

Katrin said...

Love it! The room looks AWESOME!

Cant wait to the see girls room :)