Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Snacker vs. Sleeper

alternatively titled Julianne vs. Jocelyn


So we've got this little battle going on in our house for the last 3 weeks and I am NOT fond of it at all!!


I nurse the girls before bed at 8 or 9 and they go down for the what used to be 6 or 6.5 hours. Now Julianne will wake up between 12:30 and 1:30 (just 3-4 hrs. after she ate) and want a snack and she has completely escaped from her giant swaddle blanket which woke her up in the first place. So I go into their room nurse her as she keeps her eyes closed for about 3-5 minutes and then reswaddle her and she sleeps again for another 2.5-3 hours and wakes up again. By now it is 2:30-3:30. So I give her another snack this time I'm too tired to stand so I sit on the floor by her crib and nurse her for a few more minutes then swaddle her up and lay her back down. Next time she wakes up is about 5 or 5:30 and this time I get Jon to go get her and bring her to me in bed and actually feed her, change her diaper and put her back to bed.


In the meantime Jocelyn sleeps in her crib having not moved since the time Jon laid her down at 8:30 or 9 who all she wants to do is sleep all night and not be woke up. Which we DO have to wake her up every night when we bring Julianne in for the big feeding. Jocelyn is just our little sleeper and could sleep for hours I think! So after I nurse them at 5 or 5:30 they go back to bed, Julianne for another 2.5-3 hours and Jocelyn will sleep some mornings until I wake her at 9AM!!


So that's the battle going on in our house right now, the snacker vs. sleeper and it has this mama REALLY REALLY tired!! I'm hoping they learn to start eating from a spoon VERY soon so they can get a little extra food in them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know every child is different, but I had that problem with one of my singletons. I discussed it with my pediatrician and he told me we had 2 options... either try feeding him more in the middle of the night, instead of just a snack, to satisfy him longer, OR he recommended not letting him snack at night at all. He told me by feeding James in the middle of the night, he was expecting it each and every time he woke up, and could actually be waking up in hopes of getting him some food. We decided to push back his late feeding by about 30 minutes for the bedtime feeding and stop letting him snack at night. The first couple of nights it took me 30-45 minutes to soothe him back to sleep but after a couple of nights he went about 4 hours, then 5, and back to 6 hours within 2 weeks. Seems like a long time but I was so glad I listened! Good luck!

Becky